Degree Conferment Dates in a Calendar Year – Students Graduating from 2022-23 Onwards
We are writing to update you the latest information pertaining to the Degree Conferment arrangements upon notification from CUHK, received on 11 January 2023.
- Degree Conferment Dates with effect from AY2021-22
With effect from the AY 2021-22, degree conferment has been decoupled from the Congregation/graduation ceremonies in November/December, the University will confer on eligible students’ degrees upon fulfilment of all graduation requirements on three specified dates namely, 31 March, 31 July, and 15 October.
For degrees conferred on 31 March and 31 July, the dates printed on the Degree Certificates will be the corresponding degree conferment dates. For degrees conferred on 15 October, graduates will be given two options regarding the date to be printed on their degree certificates: (i) 15 October; (ii) 15 November.
- Option to Defer, Applicable to Students Graduating in AY 2022-23 and 2023-24
Following the University’s degree conferment current arrangement, in which a student graduating will have a choice of the conferment date (see the below list) with corresponding printing date(s), will continue to apply to students graduating in AY 2022-23 and 2023-24. In this regard, your Programme will send emails to eligible graduating students requesting your preferred Conferment Date:
- 31 March 2023 as both the degree conferment date and the degree certificate printing date.
- 31 July 2023 as both the degree conferment date and the degree certificate printing date.
- 15 October 2023 as both the degree conferment date and the degree certificate printing date.
- 15 October 2023 as both the degree conferment date and 15 November 2022 as the degree certificate printing date.
- Once a student has satisfied all graduation requirements (exclude students who still engage in any coursework), s/he must choose Conferment Date. S/he understands that his/her consent is IRREVOCABLE and unconditional. NO further change would be accepted.
- Once a student has satisfied all graduation requirements (exclude students who still engage in any coursework) and to be listed in the Graduation List
(1)S/he is expected to follow the procedure of ‘Leaving the University (Graduation)’;
(2)S/he is no longer a current student CUHKSZ and Graduate School will not issue Letter of Certification to prove his identity of current student.
3. Extension of Add/Drop Period for AY 2022-23 Term 2
In response to the update of policy, Graduate School has extended the period of regular courses Add / Drop to 3 February 2023. Please note the system will be off 21-27 January 2023. From 28 January, the system will open for operation.
- Nearest Degree Conferment Date as Default Date w.e.f. 2024-25
From the AY 2024-25 onwards, there will NOT be any arrangement for deferral of degree conferment date. Following the University’s degree conferment arrangement, once a student has satisfied all graduation requirements, the nearest degree conferment date in the year concerned will be taken as the default degree conferment date. Students’ graduation certificates will be dated the corresponding degree conferment dates. For degrees conferred on 15 October, students can choose either 15 October or 15 November as the date to be printed on their Graduation Certificates.
- Graduation assessment: Requirements and Timeline
As the degrees are conferred after the completion of the graduation assessment, students are reminded to plan their studies carefully and to fulfill all graduation requirements by the end of the specified academic term. Students should proactively follow up with the Programme Office concerned for any pending grades after the grade release date. For students with pending grades/documents/records at the time of graduation assessment（e.g. units exemption applications, unresolved disciplinary actions, etc.), their degree conferment will be postponed to the next degree conferment date.
M.Phil. and Ph.D. students should also observe the timeline to declare the intention to submit a thesis (i.e., at least four months before actual submission), and to submit the first draft of the thesis. In particular, students are required to submit the final thesis before the deadline as stipulated below in order to have their graduation included in the degree conferment date concerned.
Degree Conferment Date
Deadline for final thesis submission to GS
- Degree Certificates Collection
The Degree Certificates will be available for collection around one month after the Degree Conferment date. Details on the collection of degree certificates will be announced via Email by GS or Programme office.
- Certifying Letter by CUHK
Same as last year, CUHK will issue Certifying Letter upon request from graduates via Graduate School. Details on the application and collection will be announced via Email by Graduate School.
If you have further inquiries on the subject, please contact the Graduate School.